What are the definitive traits of agile leaders?
Recently I attended an Agile Leadership Workshop certified by SCRUM ALLIANCE, to update myself on the new way of working and thinking as organisations and many industries are going through transformation. One key takeaway I have is Agile Leaders are both enablers and disruptors. As an enabler, a leader needs to coach people, provide clarity of direction, build trust and show empathy, empower others. As a disruptor, a leader needs to embrace uncertainty, questions the status quo, create new ways of thinking.
Here’s a summary of what I have learned and currently practicing to build agility into my DNA. What Characteristics Do Agile Leaders Need?
- Growth Mindset
- Self Awareness & Self Mastery
- Accountability and Ownership
- Humility and Empathetic Listening Skills
- Courage and Risk Taking
- Trust and Integrity
- Ability to leverage on individual strengths
- Ability to Inspire Others
- Focus on Customers
As businesses are being disrupted, organisations need to evolve and develop new business model through innovation and strategic partnerships. These changes requires leaders who are agile to drive change in mindset and build a new culture that is focused putting customers needs first.
Four Key Agile Leader Activities during Agile Transformation – Why it is matters.
1) Establish High-Performing Teams Clarity of vision and direction to the team to galvanise everyone to stay focus, eliminate handoffs, leveraging on individual strengths and driving accountability.
2) Shape the Environment for Success Encourage risk taking and celebrate failure. Be willing to pivot and learn fast. Provide the teams with right tools to deliver outcomes
3) Coach People and Team Moving from Commanding to Coaching. Coach Teams to Solve Their Own Problems. Ask Powerful Questions. Develop empathetic listening skills
4) Lead Organizational Change Establish a Sense of Urgency for the Change. Develop a Vision and Strategy for the Change. Communicate the Vision. Empower Others to Act on the Vision. Generate Quick Wins. Consolidate Gains & Produce More Gains. Build a culture of experiment and create a safe environment. Celebrate failures.
The future of work requires great agility; an agile mindset that is more than just being adaptable. Putting customers’ needs at the heart of what we do, being able to take risks and tolerate failure and building a strong team culture to support growth. Collectively, building a culture that accelerate growth.